- We installed it after we ripped out the awkward, sticky, broken mess that used to live there.
- We keep it pretty neat.
- It houses almost all of our clothes - we have no dresser!
See? No dresser - just a teeny tiny armoire for scarves, etc.
|One teeny tiny armoire for scarves, etc.|
But it desperately needs new knobs.
Aside from outerwear, shoes and purses, all of our clothing is stored in a pretty average-sized closet (although, having grown up in a wee little 1950s home, this closet is frickin' huge to me. I have this issue with bathrooms too, remember?) We make a dresser-less existence work by making the most of the space, thanks to a simple, inexpensive, modular closet organization system purchased from the home improvement store.
Here are our tips for living dresser-free:
- Take inventory of your clothing and sketch out a closet plan that works for you.
- Install a combination of shelves, drawers and rods to suit your storage needs & maximize use of space.
- Make use of the height of your closet with bins on upper shelves.
- Opt for a built-in laundry hamper (the wire bin) that saves spaces because it fits perfectly.
- Consider storage bins for below - we use our floral bin for clothes that are neither freshly laundered nor laundry bound.
- Buy a set of hangers that will hang neatly together, using less space.
- Tidy seasonally - refolding and sorting ALL of your clothes makes shopping for new items less enticing. Trust me.
- Consign, donate or give away items that don't fit or won't work for you. A streamlined wardrobe is key and makes getting dressed so much easier!
- Don't worry about "rules" regarding what gets folded and what gets hung up. Go with what works for you.
- Same goes for grouping stuff - my yoga pants are front & centre (not shoved in the back) because I use them so often (for sitting around, not actually doing yoga).
|Built in laundry hamper and bins meet our needs.|
|Same size hangers maximize hanging space.|
|A mix of shelves and drawers to meet our storage needs.|
|Bins for added convenience.|
What did this space look like before, you ask? Well, I forgot to take a photo of this closet before but here's one from the other bedroom (now the Silhouette Wall in the office). All closet fittings in the townhouse were identical:
|A sorta "Before"|
|Crappy closet fittings, no more.|
|Before I got it all neat & tidy.|