|Or tied up.|
|Curtain-less. I actually liked the look, but guests complained about privacy.|
This window is a bit awkward because its off-centred so, like the even more awkward windows beside it, floor length curtains were out of the question. Plus, the weird crank at the bottom made anything covering it stick out. And I didn't want to seal the window off completely because I use it to spy on strangers who ring the doorbell. Sometimes I even converse with solicitors from the window, like a princess stuck in a tower.
|My security system.|
So we needed something that would mimic the curtains my mom sewed for the awkward windows beside this window - something ruched top & bottom - but also something that could be tied up so I can see out the window. We came up with a simple design that offers privacy, fits the window perfectly, but can be bunched up & tied with ribbons if needed.
- Compression curtain rod (I bought mine at Fabricland)
- Sheer fabric (we used material 3 times the width of the window)
- Wooden dowel (width of window)
- Gross-grain ribbon (we used four lengths, twice the height of window)
- Thread, sewing machine, iron, a fabulous mom to do this for you, etc (the basics!)
Double width sheer fabric reduces the number of seams
- Sew the sides of the fabric to create a nice, finished edge (unless finished already!).
- Then sew a pocket at the top for the compression rod.
- Sew a smaller pocket at the bottom for your dowel.
- Sew ribbons to the curtain so half hangs in the front and half hangs down the back (its best to affix the ribbon at the back).
- Insert compression rod and fit to window (following manufacturer's instructions).
- Insert the dowel into the bottom pocket.
- Sew a few stitches above the dowel to create a tight fit.
- Trim the ribbon to length if necessary.
|Sew the edges of the curtain.|
Create a top & bottom pocket for compression rod & wood dowel.
|Too flouffy without the bottom dowel.|
|Thread dowel into bottom pocket.|
|I sewed the pocket tightly around the dowel to create a friction fit,|
rather than sew the end shut, which creates a bunch.
|Trim ribbon so it doesn't hang below the bottom of the curtain.|
Side by side with the existing curtains my mom sewed for the even more awkward window in the guest room:
P.S. How embarrassing is the fruit fly noticeable in a couple of the pics?
|I swear, I clean!|