|This was me on my birthday last year, with my little cousin Camilla.|
Today is my 28th birthday! Hubby turns 30 next month, and his quiet sobbing has made me realize time will really fly in the two years before I turn 30. I love a good list, and I'm kind of obsessed with reading other people's life goals. I feel a mix of smugness (hey, I've already done that, so yay me) and inferiority (crap, I never even thought to try something that cool, I'm so lame) when I read them. So I thought I'd make one!
Sitting down and picking 30 things was hard. I have a list of at least 100 things I want to do in the next two years. So I knocked off many (but not all) of the DIY themed projects and focused more on life . . .
Here's my 30 before 30 (in a random sort of order):
Do research abroadUPDATE: yup, yup, yup Finish my PhD!UPDATE: YES, feels so good to cross this one off!
- Take a pottery class NOPE
- Create a video tour of the house NOPE
Sell the townhouse, without a realtor UPDATE: Well, we sold the house . . . Buy a houseon Lake Superior UPDATE: We did it!! Start renovating a new house,and build a better blog for chronicling the process UPDATE: Yes to the renovating, No to the better blog (it's coming)
- Become really adept at time management &
spend less time on the internetUPDATE: slow internet has helped me accomplish this!
- Create a life list NOPE
Return to Europe for a vacation with the HubsUPDATE: this counts! Get published in an academic journalUPDATE: YES! It's going to be published this fall!! Make a darn yarn wreath alreadyUPDATE: this was so fun, why did I delay? Become stronger (inside& out) UPDATE: I'm way less fit (although I'm working on it now that the snow has finally melted). I've gotten to a point that I don't give a shit what people think so that counts!
- Buy a child in need a smile UPDATE: I decided instead to donate to women's shelters, food banks and the Salvation Army (in cash and in kind) throughout the year
Have another project featured in a magazine(see my first feature here) UPDATE: see it here! Start an Etsy shopUPDATE: I have opened an Etsy shop!
- Finish the home scrapbook I started & put photos in photo albums (I'm so behind!) NOPE
Start bikingUPDATE: we dusted off the bikes and took them for a spin!
- Build a play workshop for my little cousin, Jack (the play kitchen for his sis was so fun) AWWW, NOPE
Try stencilingUPDATE: see here & here Be a better feministUPDATE: I'm working on it everyday Do something with the backyard(anything but dirt piles) UPDATE: In the townhouse we were forced to improve the backyard right before we moved so this was begrudgingly checked off Improve my HungarianUPDATE: Yup, being in Hungary for four months helped! Paint a piece of furniture turquoiseUPDATE: done and done, but I want to do it again! Start a new hobby (that doesn't involve renovating) with HubbyUPDATE: Success!
- Get a teaching position at a University (need to do step 2, first) NOPE
- Build a small wardrobe with only stuff I love, that fits - no more crap! NOPE - I've worn nothing but yoga pants since December.
- Try to like avocados (seems like an adult thing to like) Haha, NOPE
- Learn to use my camera fully NOPE
- Start volunteering again (it's been a few years since I sat on a Board of Directors for a not-for-profit, but I did volunteer as a coordinator in 2011 - it's just hard to find an organization that is the right fit) UPDATE: I'll be getting involved in my community this summer.
P.S. Even though it's my birthday today, I have a gift for you! Click here for a chance to win a custom designed stencil.