The tray before was cute and all, don't get me wrong . . .
. . . but I had pinned a few triangle stamped objects and wanted to give it a no-commitment whirl.
|Inspiration from Poppytalk (sorry, I lost the original post) and Kicsi Haz|
I first rolled on some metal primer (and yes, I used a fork to stir it). I used a small foam roller and a small brush just to quickly reach what the roller couldn't.
Then I painted on a soft mint-turquoise hue (Zen, by Debbie Travis), leftover from other projects. The pic was snapped once I already painted the back black, so just ignore the black edges.
I then applied some random triangles cut out from painter's tape and painted on some black, also leftover from other projects.
Everything went swimmingly until the stupid paint bled under the stupid tape. I'm having one of those weeks. I thought it would be okay to place the tape on wax paper, mark & cut out the shapes and then transfer the cut out design, because it was costs-an-arm-and-a-leg-per-roll "gets sealed by the paint" super tape but, alas, no. I think I applied the paint a little too thickly. It might have worked better with thin coats of spray paint. User error!
Undeterred (I'm not gonna let a little tray best me), I grabbed a small angled paintbrush, from the dollar store awhile ago, and re-painted the triangles and fixed up the edges, once the black was dry. While I was at it, I added a little copper triangle.
My plan was to add small picture hanging hardware to the back with crazy glue to make this wall art, but I want to let it "sit" a bit and see if I really do like it. Right now, I don't. But I loved experimenting, especially when I didn't have to spend a dime!
Go take a peek at Gemma's makeover! Her project went a lot more smoothly and looks super sweet!
P.S. If you're new to Dans le Townhouse, you can check out my other DIY Projects here (they're a lot better, I promise).