Why do I love white walls? I have highly personal and purely subjective reasons. Colour works for many people and I might go for it again one day. But I am passionately in love with our white walls, and here's a glimpse into why:
1. Our popcorn ceilings (shudder), which are painted the same shade of white, almost disappear. Of course, you could do this trick with another colour, too, but the white seems to bounce light around as well, helping along the disguise.
Only upon closer inspection can you tell but, somehow, with everything white I don't even really mind the texture anymore . . .
2. The decades old trim (which is skimpy and nothing to write home about) along with the ugly doors and door frames similarly blend in with everything painted white. I would do anything to avoid drawing attention to these elements.
3. With everything white, the small space (with it's serious lack of windows) looks brighter and more spacious. I used the same automatic camera setting and similar time of day, but what a different bright white paint makes in this "before" and "after" of our dining room! Of course the white sheers help diffuse light nicely, too.
4. All white is easy for big painting projects (ahem, every room in two weeks) because there is less cutting/taping and no cleaning/switching brushes between rooms.
5. It's cost effective, too, because we bought 5 gallon pails which are cheaper than by the gallon, and we also had very little leftover, whereas with different colours you often end up with a bit of leftover from each can which can't be carried over to the next room if it's a different colour.
6. But there are fun reasons for loving white, as well: white walls help our artwork and accessories take center stage.
7. It's a classic, timeless choice, just like a crisp white shirt or blouse is a wardrobe staple. Check out this room from the 60s! White was fun then, too!
|House & Garden, 1968|
8. With white walls, I have more flexibility with shuffling things around the house because almost everything will look good against white walls - no clashing! We have a small budget, so this flexibility really helps.
I wish I owned the Hungarian apartment I'm staying in because, although it's so pretty, I've been dreaming up renovation ideas. First up? Paint. White paint. Here's my inspiration:
|House & Home|
|The Design Files|
Of course, there is always too much of a good thing (see below) so stay tuned this week for a fun and colourful DIY project!
|Desire to Inspire|