The before (well, it's an in-progress shot, with the left wall and ceiling painted) & after difference:
I painted the mismatched walls, and even painted the ceilings (plus the stairwell!) the same warm greige, to keep the old carpet from standing out in any way. Because "bright and airy" wasn't on the menu, I aimed for "cute and cozy". In this corner specifically, I removed the peeling wall paper (catch a glimpse in the right of the photo below or see here for more). A little textured paint hid the paneling lurking beneath.
I tidied, cleaned, de-cluttered, and even gave some furniture away to make the space more liveable. The chairs, teak table and lamp had been languishing in the basement after becoming obsolete upstairs. I tried my best to make this ragtag group of furniture look intentionally chosen for the space. Accessorizing and adding art in the same colour palette (pinks, turquoises, greens, black and white) helped the nook look planned.
The silk pillows are the only truly new addition, thanks to my sewing maven Mom who whipped them up. I almost saved them for the living room, but the greige walls, greige carpet and greige chair combo need a pop of colour. The silk shines in the basement and lends such life to the room.
The gallery wall:
We laid everything on the floor and then hung it up. No newspaper cut outs like with the silhouette wall, because our options were a little limited. I would have liked something a bit "fuller" but the light switch and outlet are pretty high and pretty random and inhibited our art placement a bit. I also need to replace them with some paint-able covers.
Maybe I'll add more paintings some day. The art was pretty thrifty because each piece was either gathering dust somewhere or a DIY project:
- The Rothko-inspired art cost pennies.
- The other abstracts were DIY's (see the making of one here).
- The two black and white vacation photos haven't seen the light of day since we moved to the townhouse, so it felt good to give those a home.
- The etching above the larger cardboard painting was replaced with the DIY stenciled/antiqued mirror.
I think I captured some of the feel of my inspiration photo. I just couldn't stick to the pale aqua and pink - I tossed in some other colours via the artwork.
The rest of the basement will be keeping with this feel (see more of the inspiration here). Greige with pops of black, white, pale pink and turquoise. If you remember, the stairwell has black and white and turquoise art, too. The turquoise chair and black chair will live here eventually. But first: a few more furniture makeovers, some more painting, a DIY curtain rod, some more art work, some sewing of curtains from you'll never guess what, and more. We'll get there.