Nothing like a looming MLS listing to light a suitably sized fire under our butts when it comes to projects. We prioritized our to-do list and because the rest of the house has been updated over the years and looks quite spiffy, we tackled the dragged-on-for-eighteen-months basement makeover first. People have built houses in the time it has taken to paint and tidy our basement! Our house is to be listed as a partially finished basement because about one third of it is taken up by a walled off, unfinished storage room with a door, but a “partially finished basement” doesn’t mean we can literally leave our projects partially finished (darn). We started on the floor right away, knowing it would take a week to fully cure.
Here’s how we painted our concrete laundry room floor a cheery shade of aqua!
The secret is in the right supplies:
We used Sherwin Williams Porch and Floor enamel in satin, which I bought un-tinted during a sweet 50% off sale. After we narrowed down floor colours, I combed through my hoard of turquoise paint chips to find a shade that looked right in the window-less laundry room and Valspar’s “Dive in”(CI 249) took the cake. It’s vibrant and not too green but not too blue – the perfect turquoise. In the photos it looks pale, but in reality it’s richer than even my turquoise chair makeover.
How to apply porch and floor enamel:
First we vacuumed and washed the poured concrete floor (the old carpet that was there wasn’t glued down at all – whew). We let the wet floors dry overnight. Then we moved the washer and dryer to the middle of the room and painted behind them. The enamel cured quickly, so we pushed them back and then did the rest.
A paintbrush was needed for the edges, but then a roller made for concrete floors made light work of the rest of the room. Although we walked on it later that day, we planned to wait a full week to return the laundry hampers and other stuff to the room. A few days later though, I noticed one coat wasn’t enough (some patches of the original grey peeked through) so we swept it quickly and applied another coat. We had to start the clock again and wait another full week, so it was a good thing we started as soon as we bought the lake house!
This was a smelly job but only took an hour or so to apply the first application and only twenty minutes for the second coat. So far, it still looks perfect! This isn’t meant for garage floors (shame) but it works well for our purposes. The gallon we bought was twice what we needed.
Handy Hubby was such a cutie during the painting process. We painted the walls together but then he painted the floor while I worked on making the rest of the basement livable. I tried to snag a few good photos of him, but he likes to remain as anonymous as possible. He jumped out of most photos, or looked really, really pained.
The fruits of his labor are what you’re here to see anyway! With the walls freshly painted the same colour as the rest of the basement (including the stairwell), the new floors make a formerly grungy space look fresh and cheery.
The walls, floor and light fixtures are all looking sharp but let’s be honest: our washing machine and dryer are work horses, not show ponies, and the paintbrush-rinsing-sink (it serves no other purpose), water heater and mess of plumbing and wires really seem to pop out now. I asked Hubs to paint the rusty legs of the old sink and that was a super quick fix that made it look less sad, but there’s a bigger, better, beautiful solution my Mom and I cooked up . . .