Yup, I painted the fireplace. I’m so excited to show you because it completely transformed the living room! But first: here’s how I updated the gold fireplace doors, and the vents that are part of the system to circulate heat that would otherwise be lost up the chimney. The vents, in particular, were awfully ugly. And cemented in place.
the fireplace doors was easy-peasy. I removed the screws
holding them in place and lugged them out to the garage where I first gave them a thorough clean (the glass was so dirty, you couldn’t see through it). Once they were dry, I taped off the
glass and gave the metal frames and wood handles a light sand. I
wiped everything down with a damp cloth (just to get the sanding dust off) and let the doors dry a few moments. Then I
sprayed on a few thin coats of Rustoleum high heat enamel spray paint. Following the manufacturer’s instructions, I applied a few thin coats within the span of a few minutes. The surface was dry to the touch in 1/2 an hour and was ready to be handled within 2 hours.
What it doesn’t say on the can is that this paint is magic. At one
point the newspapers I had laid down to protect the garage floor blew
up with a gust of wind and smudged the paint. Panicked, I applied more
paint but that only made it looked worse. Discouraged, I decided to let it dry and figured I’d sand
it down the next day and start fresh. Overnight though, the paint leveled
itself into a super smooth finish. It didn’t do this when I sprayed on a vertical surface but on any horizontal surface, no matter how much I bunged it up, it came out super smooth and even. I’ve since gone spray paint crazy and painted a ton of other things around the townhouse with this paint (details soon).
Painting the fireplace vents was another
story. They had been cemented in place by the former owner and refused
to budge, no matter how much we chipped at them.
I could have
brushed on paint, but I didn’t want the look of brush marks or
drips on the louvers. Undeterred (and buoyed by the magic paint), my Mom and I rigged up a spray
painting booth with a cardboard box and some plastic drop cloths that
she held in place while I shimmied under and spray painted the vents in place. I didn’t cover the faux stone to protect it from overspray because the next step was painting it a dark grey anyway (yay).
I didn’t take any photos of the process because I just can’t, in good conscience, show
anyone how to do it at home. Even using a mask and eye protection, it
was not a good idea for me to spray paint in an unventilated area (I was
cleaning paint out of my ears for days). I hope that anyone else who is making over their fireplace and has these same vents can just remove the screws, as I should have been able to, and avoid the problem altogether. Despite my trials, the vents look smashing. Good-bye gold.
Check back Monday to see the full reveal of the fireplace. I’m just finishing up a couple of details. In the meantime, take a peek here to see if you’re the winner of my First Alert giveaway.
I partnered with Rustoleum to update the fireplace vents and doors but was not prompted or encouraged to provide a positive review of Rustoleum high heat enamel spray paint. It will be a surprise for them, too, to see what else I spray painted in my spray paint frenzy, but we have partnered for a couple of other projects (you saw a sneak peek here), so stay tuned.