This is a very easy project that barely needs a tutorial, but I still wanted to share this little DIY tree topper dollar store hack.
I asked my audiences on TikTok and Instagram: “what was the tree I decorated for my Mom last year missing?” and the resounding answer was a tree topper! It’s true! But I could NOT find a topper I liked locally and then I ran out of time to order something online (although I did almost buy this one). In the end, I found a cute little one at Dollarama as a placeholder. I didn’t love the finish and planned to spray paint or use Rub ‘n Buff to change the color (like I did for these vintage pulls) – but it got too cold to spray paint and, for the life of me, I could not find my leftover Rub ‘n Buff. Loath to buy any more craft supplies, I rummaged around in my craft room like a truffle pig until I found some very old Mod Podge and the gold flakes I had used for my DIY polymer clay ornaments and festive DIY gold leaf coasters. Success!
Here’s the before:
- Small metal or cardboard star (this one is similar, but just hit up a dollar store)
- Mod Podge
- Gold leaf or other metal leaf (flakes or sheets)
- Small foam brush
How to Apply Gold Leaf with Mod Podge:
- Apply a thin layer of Mod Podge with a foam brush, working in small areas
- Apply the gold flakes and pat gently to help adhere and smooth out
- Let dry completely
- Repeat on the other side, making sure to overlap across the edges, and let dry completely again
- Brush off an excess gold flakes/leaf
- Apply another layer of modge podge to seal the surface – starting with one side
- Let dry completely
- Repeat sealing for the other side
I used the same process as I did for these DIY gold leaf coasters – except I kept applying the gold leaf until it formed a solid surface. I even applied it to the edges so it’s seamless from front to back.
Here’s a short Reel of the Process:
View this post on Instagram
And here’s the after!
More DIY Ornaments!
Looking for more DIY ornament ideas?
- DIY Felt Animal Ornaments
- DIY Alcohol Ink Ornaments
- DIY Polymer Clay Ornaments
- DIY Agate Slice Ornaments
- DIY Beaded Snowflake Ornaments
P.S. Don’t Forget to Pin for Later!